About Our Parish
In 1908 we trace the first Greeks in Fayetteville, three brothers; Constantine (Charles), Arthur, and Thomas Havelos. The first Greek business was the Busy Bee Cafe on Market Square on the corner of Green and Person Street. Thomas Havelos was one of its co-owners. Most of the Greeks that followed opened up cafes in the Hay Street area. Notably Steve and Nick Fasul came in 1920 soon operating Steve's Restaurant, next to the old post office. There were many other restaurants run by Greeks: The Central Cafe, owned by Charlie Kalevas and run by Gregory (Harry) Kalevas and Thomas Havelos; The New York Restaurant, run by Mr. James Kanos; the Rainbow Restaurant, run by Mr. Bill Pappas, Mr. John Moutos, Mr. Nick Phillos, and Danny Psillos; and the Royal Palm, run by Mr. Harry Daskal.
For over twenty years Father George Stephanis of the Raleigh parish served our needs. The Greeks of Fayetteville wanted a place of their own. In 1954 the Parish Council and Board of Directors for the Hellenic Community Center, Inc., signed the contract to build the Hellenic Center on the northern edge of Oakridge Avenue.
William Saunders was the architect for the 250' front by 358' deep building which included fellowship hall, classroom and chapel, and porch opening to a spacious lot and stage. Player Construction Company was the builder.
In 1956 the Reverend Kallinikos Hatzilambrou was assigned to Fayetteville and began holding services in a classroom converted to chapel in the front room of the Hellenic Center.
Sadly for our young parish, Father Hatzilambrou passed away. Reverend Papazisis, who had just retired from Jacksonville, Florida to his home in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, was asked to serve our parish until another priest could be found. Services during the holidays were held in the Hellenic Center in front of the stage.
In the summer of 1961 Reverend Chrysostom Manuel, graduated, married, and was ordained. He began his service as a priest in Fayetteville in September 1961. On April 12, 1964, Bishop Aimilianos visited our parish for the groundbreaking ceremonies for our new church building.
On June 17, 1984 our parish was consecrated by His Eminence Archbishop Iakovos.
In August of 2000 Reverend Chrysostom Manuel retired and Reverend Dimitrios Moraitis began his service.
The Reverend Dimitrios Moraitis served our parish until July of 2004. He was called to serve at St. Paraskevi Church in Greenlawn, New York.
On September 1st, 2004, Reverend Konstantinos Kostaris assumed the spiritual leadership of our parish. In September of 2008 he went to live the resr of his life at a Monastery in Arizona.
The Reverand Alexander M. Papagikos came to be with us and serve our parish on July 2009.